10 Steps To Get Out Of A Book Slump
I rarely find myself in a book slump, but whenever I do, it’s usually after reading a book that I had been eagerly anticipating and which exceeded or met my expectations. All other books, no matter how intriguing they would have seemed before, become unenticing. I would read a chapter or two and would find it impossible to ‘get into it’.
These are the steps I usually take to help me of a slump. If it’s a really bad one, I end up going through all of the steps and maybe even repeating a step or two.
In the famous words of Dr Seuss:
Without further ado :
- Re-read the book (or my favourite parts). Sometimes one just can’t get enough of a good ‘thing’. So, repeat!
- Write (blog) about it, review it, rave about it to your reading buddies to get it out of system.
- Take a break from reading, watch a movie you’ve been meaning to watch, or binge watch a favourite series.
- Go shopping for more books! New books are being released weekly, maybe you’ll come across one,( or ten ), that peak your interest!
- Try a sub-genre or another genre altogether! Maybe you have just read one too many epic fantasy, try urban fantasy, or thrillers.
- See what your friends are reading or check out what’s on their TBRs. You might discover some good reads!
- Go through your humongous pile of books; whether it be physical and or digital. ( I know you have a huge pile of books that you’ve been meaning to read for some time now) Read the synopses and maybe you’ll discover a hidden gem.
- Try a graphic novel instead,(or a few), maybe one based on a novel you’ve already read!
- Re-read your favourite series (I have a fallback series, the Dresden Files) until you’ve had enough of that!
- Read a series you loved in another language or another that you couldn’t get into for some reason. If you dont know another language, now might be a good time to learn one. If you’re not up for it, repeat step 3.
What steps do you use? Do you have any others you would like to add? Leave a comment below.